WELCOME TO SOPHIELAND

where everything is cured with a kind word and a small action



Welcome to the world of an ordinary girl in exstroadinary circumstances

I hope this gives you the courage to over come whatever is holding you back in life. I hope it allows you to feel the gratitude of your life, to see the positives whatever you circumstances. To me lathough sometimes difficlt my glass is normaly half full, has ice and lemone and some nice saphire gin and tonic in it. I am not alone in my battles in life and now I know "alone i cant BUT together we can". Welcome :)



Friday 12 February 2010

Video: Alexander McQueen's last show at Paris Fashion Week - Telegraph

Video: Alexander McQueen's last show at Paris Fashion Week - Telegraph

Today im brought to thinking about what being British means to me. As i watch the politcians defend themselves whilst my generation watch the progress of an illegal oil driven war in a foreign land. Another 3 children being brought home in boxes via Wooten Basset this week and Gordon Brown is shown on national television being interviewed, a tear in his eye as he discusses the death of his first child. I wonder at what legnths these politicians will go to try and get the sympathy of the public, although we all know he isnt going to survive another general election. Our troops fighting to defend a foreign border whilst our own borders are overwhelmed by immigration and sepratism.

Anyway Im thinking of what British culture means to me. The suicide of Lee "Alexander" McQueen leaves me lost. He was nodoubt grief ridden with the loss of his mother, his aunt and his mentor. His surrealist Vrs Punk styling of classic couteur based on savil row technique brought the Pop Culture of the Uk to a world stage. His passing leaves a large legacy and yet an imense void. For such a small island we dont half generate a fist full of creative genius. I think of Viviene Westwood...Quentin Crisp....David Hockney...the list is endless and historical...those who never sacrifice style over content and whos imagination and unique creativity provoke an intense response.

Im posting above the link to a glimpse into the theatre of Mr McQeen. The exagerated footwear, the imagination of concept and the actual ability to turn dreams into a dali fabric exspression, more than just clothes but a complete exsperience and one i never got to witness personaly. Not that I could ever wear such garments but just the thought that they can be imagined and made fills me with pure excitment of fairy tails and dreams. This edgy exspressionism is what makes Britans Pop culture so unique. It couldnt happen anywhere else in the world and my love of design feels a wonderful thing. So watch the video and feel just how unique a country we are, the wealth we give to the arts.....even if its ballanced with the darkness of our political folly. For in our darkest hours isnt it the ability to imagine something better our saving grace? So god bless you Mr McQueen for showing me that being at the fringes of society can make those in mediocrity fall under the weight of critisism and be crushed by your infinate ideas and balsey attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment